- Premium times 2018, reveals that Nigeria is the 2nd largest contributor to under 5 and maternal mortality rate in the world
- Every single day, 2300 under 5-year-old die and 145 women of child bearing age die. Do you know that if these group of people are not malnourished, the death can be prevented!
- IYCF connotes the type of nutrition and food recommended for infants and young child below 5 years that will make them healthy.
- This concept also covers the nutrition of pregnant and breastfeeding mothers.
- Concept of Infant and Young Child Feeding Practice promotes early Initiation of breastfeeding (within 30 minutes of delivery)
- Promotes Exclusive Breastfeeding for the first six months of life. No other liquids or solids are given- not even-Water
- Promotes optimal complementary feeding with continued breastfeeding until two years and beyond
- Promote micronutrient supplementation (Vitamin A and Micro-nutrient Powder) for children Under-5 and
- Strengthen Growth Monitoring and Promotion
10 key messages of IYCF to mothers
- Attend Ante-natal clinic (ANC)
- Know your HIV status
- Eat one extra meal everyday if pregnant; two extra meal everyday if breastfeeding.
- Deworming tablets is advocated but see your health profession before starting
- Iron folate supplements during pregnancy
- Avoid drinking coffee or tea or sugary drinks. Take adequate water 6-8 sachets of water daily.
- Sleep under insecticide treated bed nets
- Eat best locally available foods including fresh fruits
- Take vitamin A supplements after delivery
- Use iodized salt in cooking
The IYCF shall be discussed in later articles as
- Exclusive Breast Feeding (EBF)
- Complementary feeding at 6 months
- Complementary feeding at 6 – 9 months
- Complementary feeding from 9 up to 12 months
- Complementary feeding from 12 up to 24 months
Watch out for the upcoming articles
- Whatsapp/call/messages 08060885806 ; 08031898040